Social Media can be an effective marketing tactic for a small business to connect with their customers and potential customers. But in the rush of opening one or several social media accounts and start posting, mistakes are made.
Here Are Five Social Media Mistakes To Avoid
1| Starting Without a Plan
Don’t just jump on the social media bandwagon because ‘everyone else is doing it’. Used the right way, social media can become a great marketing tool to grow your business. But, before you start it’s important to have a plan.
2| Expecting Overnight Success
It’s frustrating and disappointing when you don’t see a significant increase in sales after one or two months of being active on social media. Don’t give up on social media.
Although it’s true that social media can help you reach thousands, even millions of people. The competition for your online audience’s attention is fierce.
Start by letting your customers know that you are active on social media. And that you will share valuable information or special deals with them on those platforms.
Make it easy for them to find and follow you:
- If you have a brick and mortar venue. Display your social network information and/or include it in your printed promotional materials.
- Use your full social media address. For example: facebook.com/yourcompany rather than just the Facebook logo.
- Invite your website visitors to connect with and follow you on social media. Add links to your social media platforms on your website pages.
Don’t forget the social aspect of social media: connect, nurture and cultivate relationships with your audience. Which bring us to…
3| Underestimating Of the Amount of Resources It Takes
In order for social media to work, you need to invest time and resources into it.
- It’s tempting to be present on every social network. But choose the social media platform(s) where your target audience “hangs out” online. Focus on one or two platforms first to build followers and engagement.
- Make social media marketing a part of your everyday routine. Set aside at least 15 minutes every day to work on it.
- Did you know that only 1 in 6 of your Facebook fans will ever see your posts in their newsfeed? Organic growth is slowing down making social advertising a necessity for business owners if they want to reach more customers on their social networks. Make sure to budget for social media.
4| Ignoring Your Audience
It is important to remember that online followers are real people. Your customers will comment, ask for help, complain or say thank you online just as they would offline.
The difference is that everyone can see their comments. If you do not engage and respond to those comments, other customers and potential clients will think that you do not take customer satisfaction seriously.
5| Avoiding Social Media
Like it or not social media is here to stay. But some small business owners still feel that social media is a waste of their precious resources.
Your customers are on social media. Your competitors are on social media. So it would be a big disadvantage for you not to be active on social media.
Being active on social media can help a small business:
- Build trust and loyalty with customers
- Keep marketing costs down
- Offer great customer service
- Improve online visibility
- Find new customers
- Show their expertise
- Increase traffic to its website
Using social media can be an invaluable marketing tactic to help you grow your business and stay ahead of your competition.
As with any marketing tactics it takes time to yield results and being consistent is the key in attaining your social media marketing goals.
Do you need help with social media? We can help you take social media off your to-do list and get back to doing what you do best – running your business. CONTACT US