Mobile isn’t coming…It’s here! Most businesses have seen an increase in website traffic coming from mobile users and starting April 21, 2015, Google changed its algorithm to reward mobile responsive websites by ranking them higher than non-responsive sites. We all know by now that ranking well in Google is critical to being found by new customers. So, if your business doesn’t have a mobile friendly site, you are being left behind.
What Is A Mobile-Friendly Website?
It’s a website that automatically adjusts to fit any viewing screens – whether it’s a PC, iPad, iPhone, or other mobile devices.
Not Sure If Your Site Is Mobile-Friendly?
Take the Mobile-Friendly Test to see how well your site operates on a mobile device. It only takes a few seconds.
- Your site is mobile-friendly, you are in good shape.
- Your website is not optimized for mobile devices; you’ll need to hire a programmer to convert your site.
QUICK FIX: If your site is built on WordPress but not mobile responsive, add a Mobile Friendly WordPress Plugin. It’s not ideal but it will do the job until you are ready to upgrade to a mobile-friendly theme.
Why Is A Mobile-Friendly Website So Important?
According to a study from Google and Nielsen, “94% of people with smartphones search for local information on their phones” and “77% of mobile searches occur at home or at work, places where desktop computers are likely to be present.”
With a responsive design website:
- You give your potential customers an exceptional user experience regardless of screen size.
- It’s all about convenience. Your website is open and being accessed 24/7 from anywhere in the world and it’s usually the first place a prospect will go to research your company. It is important that they have a great first impression no matter what device they choose to use.
- More visitors, more clicks and more customers. According to Google, if your website is not optimized for mobile devices you are missing out on 61% of web traffic.
- You avoid being penalized by search engines. Google’s number one concern is user’s experience: “as more people use mobile devices to access the internet, our algorithms have to adapt to these usage patterns.”
A website is the most valuable piece of your small business online marketing strategy. As more and more consumers are using their mobile devices to search and learn about your business, having a mobile-friendly website is not a luxury but a necessity … it’s all about your customers’ experience and convenience online.