October gives you many opportunities to get creative and market your business. We have five content marketing ideas for October 2017 to help you promote your business.
If you are a B2C (Business to Consumer) the busy season is about to start. Plan early to maximize holiday sales. Check our Holiday Marketing blog post HERE.
Content Marketing Ideas For October
World Smile Day – October 6
World Smile Day celebrates the ever popular yellow smiley (#smileyface).
Be social on social media on World Smile Day:
- Encourage your followers to post selfies of their smiles or do an act of kindness help one person smile.
- Engage with your fans and followers by asking them: what makes you smile?
- It’s one of the best promotion days for dentists and an opportunity for any small businesses to engage with their followers.
Columbus Day – October 9
Fast facts: Columbus was the first European to discover America in 1492. He travelled with three ships: the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.
Christopher Columbus did not land on the U.S. mainland. He landed on an island in the Caribbean and there is still debate on which island he originally landed on.
Columbus Day is sometimes referred to as “Discoverer’s Day”. Create a campaign based around “discovery”.
- “Discover” savings of a certain amount.
- “Discover” a new product or service
- Write a blog post to celebrate your small business “discovery”. Tell the story of how your company was founded.
Friday The 13th
Did you know that Friday the 13th has its own phobia called paraskevidekatriaphobia (from the Greek, “paraskeví” = “friday” and “dekatreís” = “thirteen”)? (Source:Wikipedia)
Here are some Friday the 13th content marketing ideas to make you stand out from the competition:
- Make it a lucky day for your customer with a special Friday the 13th promotion.
- Play on the number 13 and offer a 13% discount.
- Give your customers 13 reasons to be happy.
- Hold a best black cat photo contest on Facebook.
- Offer 13 tips or suggestions related to your product or service.
Don’t forget to promote your Friday the 13th promotion on social media. #Friday13
Halloween – October 31
Here are seven marketing ideas for Halloween:
1| Host a Contest in Store to get more email list subscribers
Fill a jar with Halloween candies and have customers guess how many candies in the jar. The winner gets a prize (can be a gift certificate or a free service). Customers enter the contest by writing their guess and contact information on a form.
2| If it’s appropriate for your business, have your employees dress up for Halloween and share your pictures on social media.
3| Give your store or office a “spooky makeover”. Pumpkins, hay stacks, burlap, skeletons, spider webs, ghosts–get creative! Don’t forget to share your pictures on social media.
4| Trick-or-Treat – Hand out candy to the kids and promotional items for the adults. Don’t forget to inform your customers that you will be open for trick-or-treating via your social media platforms, email, in-store signage and on your website in the weeks leading up to Halloween.
5| Have a Halloween costume contest. Share pictures of your employees, customers and/or their pets all dressed up on your social media pages and ask your followers to vote for the winner.
6|Write a Trick or Treat survival guide
7| Most social media users get into the trick-or-treat spirit so it’s a great time to be social.
Domestic Violence & Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October is Domestic Violence and Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Give back to your community. Get involved with a local charitable organization to support these causes to get your name out into the community.
Use social media to get the word out to customers that you will be participating in an event or having contest and invite them to come along. Take pictures and share them on your social media platforms or in a blog post!
When using those content marketing ideas for October, remember to think first about how your content is going to help or entertain your audience.
Choose ideas relevant to your business products or services. You can write about the holiday itself or offer:
- Suggestions, ideas and tips related to celebrating the holiday,
- An appropriate holiday greeting,
- Discounts or promotions, or hold contests, and start conversations.
Be sure to update your email signature with your monthly promotions.
Ask your fans and followers to share your posts with their social network.
The fundamental principle that makes marketing effective is consistency. If you need any help with your marketing, CONTACT US. WE CAN HELP YOU GET IT DONE!